Monday, December 31, 2012

Chicken Korma

I have never had any type of curry dish, so I figured I would give it a try.  There are multiple curry recipes in Jamie Oliver's cookbook along with recipes on how to make your own curry pastes.  I chose Chicken Korma since the introduction said it was good for kids, the kid being me.  When I hear "curry" I can only think of the Man vs Food episode where the chef wore a gas mask to make his curry dish and I really did not want to burn my lips off.

Chicken Korma Recipe - Serves 4 to 6

1 and 3/4 pounds skinless chicken breasts (it was mentioned you could use shrimp as well)
2 medium onions
1 fresh green chile (optional)
a thumb size piece of fresh root ginger
a small bunch of fresh cilantro
15 oz can of garbanzo beans
peanut or vegetable oil
a pat of butter
1/2 cup korma or mild curry paste such as Patak's, or Jamie Oliver recipe (page 99)
14 oz can of coconut milk
a small handful of sliced almonds, plus extra for serving
2 heaped tablespoons unsweetened shredded coconut
salt and pepper
2 cups natural yougurt
1 lemon

To prepare your curry:
Cut the chicken into approximately 1 inch pieces.  Peel, halve, and finely slice your onions.  Halve, seed, and finely slice the chile if you are using it.  I did not use the chile, trying to make sure there was not too much heat.  Peel and finely chop the ginger.  Pick the cilantro leaves and finely chop the stalks.  Drain the garbanzo beans.

To make your curry:
Put a large casserole type pan on high heat and add a couple lugs of oil.  Add the onions, chile, ginger, and cilantro stalks with the butter.  Keep stirring it enough so it doesn't catch and burn but turns evenly golden, about 10 minutes.

Add the curry paste, coconut milk, half your sliced almonds, the drained garbanzo beans, unsweetend shredded coconut, and the sliced chicken breasts.  I went to two stores to try and find korma paste but was unable to locate it.  I did find Patak's Mild Curry Paste.  Half fill the empty can with water, puor it in, and stir again.  Bring to a boil, then turn the heat down and simmer for 30 minutes with the lid on.

Check the curry regularly to make sure it's not drying out and add extra water if necessary.  I did not have any problems with it drying out, in fact I felt there was too much liquid.  When the chicken is tender and cooked, taste and season with salt and pepper.  Season carefully.  I could already feel my self sweating, it looks like a pot of molten magma (lava), I just like the word Magma (Austin Powers anyone).

To serve your curry:
Feel free to serve this with any of Jamie's fluffy rice recipes (pages 95-96).  I did not use on of Jamie's recipes, I have a very old rice cooker which works great, so I used that.  Add a few spoonfuls of natural yogurt dolloped on top, and sprinkle over the rest of the sliced almonds.  Finish by scattering over the cilantro leaves.  Serve with lemon wedges for squeezing over.  I forgot to slice the lemon.

I enjoyed this meal very much.  It was not very spicy which was good, I could probably add the green chile in next time.  The yogurt was a great addition and made the korma taste even better.  I would make this again.

2 comments:

  1. Good for you for trying something new! :-). Really glad you enjoyed it. Maybe I'll try making this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fantastic recipe to make as your first curry. It sounds delicious! I might need to try this one soon.

    ReplyDelete